activemq-users mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <bri...@apache.org>
Subject Re: stomp: how to send *really* big messages?
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 22:30:08 GMT
On Mar 7, 2007, at 1:37 PM, Thomas Gagné wrote:

> Let's pretend I want to stream 10MB of data to a client through
> ActiveMQ
> as a response to a request. Let's also pretend I don't want to have to
> hold the entire 10MB in the server all at once but instead would
> like to
> feed it to the client in smaller pieces.

Stomp has no mechanism for partitioning large messages. I would
suggest that for big chunks of data, the best way is probably to use
an out of band method, such as pushing the 10 megs to an http server
and sending the URL via a message.

If you definitely want to send it via stomp, the best bet is probably
to partition it in the application layer and include a header with
the part number and total so it can be reassembled when all the parts
have arrived.

-Brian