activemq-users mailing list archives

From Allesmallachen <Spamma...@web.de>
Subject Order of message consumption across destinations
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 04:17:22 GMT

Hi,
the JMS specification says that "JMS does not define order of message
receipt across destinations". The documentation on the websites only
describes ordering issues with mutiple sessions or mutiple producers. But
what about one producer and several consumers with different topics?

I've tried to get the ActiveMQ to make mistakes that show that there is no
ordering across destinations. I have two TopicSubscribers with two different
Topics (one nomal "m", one temporary "x") under same session and one
TopicPublisher under a different session that publishes messages to the two
different topics in a separate Thread. To make this a little bit more
challeging for the ActiveMQ I've also added a few other consumers for topic
m.

However no matter how many message I send, all are received in the correct
order also accross destinations. For exampe if the publisher sends
m1;m2;x1;m3;x2 ... then m1 to m3 are received by the subscriber to m and
then afterwards x1 is received by the subscriber to x and so on. Everything
in perfect order.

I know that a session is a single threaded context and therefore it is clear
to me that the consumer's onMessage methods will be called in order if the
messages arrive in order. However, does this mean that ActiveMQ supports
ordering across destinations or is my TestCase just too simply to force
mistakes?

Best regards,
Christian