activemq-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Co <...@exist.com>
Subject Re: Problems with VM transport
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:43:50 GMT
uma_rk@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello...
>
> I have a couple of basic questions on ActiveMQ. I would appreciate any hits as I am stuck.
>
> I am using ActiveMQ 4.1 with JDK6.
>
> 1) When I use an embedded broker with vm transport (vm://localhost)
> the instantiation of my Spring SimpleMessageListenerContainer
> always fails with a JournalLockedException.
>
> What does this exception mean exactly? I understand this has something to do with
> persistance of message (since that is on by default). While I do not
> care to enable persistance and would like to turn it off, I would still
> like to understand what causes this exception:
>
> org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name
'DmmStartupMessageListener' defined in class path resource [contexts/bus/DmsStandardSubscriptions.xml]:
Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/activeio/journal/active/JournalLockedException
> Caused by:
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/activeio/journal/active/JournalLockedException
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.createPersistenceFactory(BrokerService.java:1328)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.getPersistenceFactory(BrokerService.java:544)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.createPersistenceAdapter(BrokerService.java:1320)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.getPersistenceAdapter(BrokerService.java:631)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.createRegionBroker(BrokerService.java:1250)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.createBroker(BrokerService.java:1209)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.getBroker(BrokerService.java:508)
>         at org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerService.start(BrokerService.java:394)
>         at org.apache.activemq.transport.vm.VMTransportFactory.doCompositeConnect(VMTransportFactory.java:113)
>         at org.apache.activemq.transport.vm.VMTransportFactory.doConnect(VMTransportFactory.java:52)
>         at org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFactory.doConnect(TransportFactory.java:43)
>         at org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFactory.connect(TransportFactory.java:77)
>         at org.apache.activemq.ActiveMQConnectionFactory.createTransport(ActiveMQConnectionFactory.java:227)
>

> 2) Which jarfile contains the exception class  org/apache/activeio/journal/active/JournalLockedException?
>
> 3) How do I use an embedded broker without persistance?
>
> The URL
>
>     vm://localhost?persistant=false
>
> fails with an exception that says that the    option is illegal.
>
> 4) Once the broker is up, could I dynamically (programmatically) change the
> broker URL by augmenting the broker URL with a failover URL as follows?
>
>    Startup:   vm://localhost
>    During runtime (after an event):
>            failover(vm://localhost,tcp://remote:61616)
>
>   Would modifying the broker URL of the connection factory cause problems?

Personally, I'm not sure if you can I haven't tried it, but I don't
think it makes sense to make a vm transport failover. The assumption is
that you have a broker running in the same vm as your jms client. If the
broker crashes, it means your client *should* have crashed also and it
can't failover over to a remote broker anymore.