activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Master Slave: Shared File System - 2 Questions
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:07:15 GMT
On 2/27/07, spiderman2 <shawn.gandhi@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:

> I've read the
> http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html doc  but the
> diagram mentions a database. I thought we're only talking about writing to a
> file system?? Just a typo?

We just reused the same images for both database and file based  master/slave.

BTW the website is a wiki so its very easy to fix typos...
http://activemq.apache.org/how-does-the-website-work.html

> I see that the configuration mentioned in the doc is pointing to a file
> system:
> <journaledJDBC dataDirectory="/sharedFileSystem/broker"/>
>
> but is called a "journaledJDBC." Does it also point to a default datasource
> (db) or only a disk?

By default is uses Apache Derby using files in the same persistence
location. In 5.x this will use the AMQStore by default instead.

> Question 2:
> If 2 brokers are writing to one shared repository (be it db or file), then
> there is still one point of failure. If the disk dies, I loose my high
> availability.

Yes. The idea is you use a shared file system (like a SAN) to avoid
this. Or use a clustered database.

>   -The only scenario I can find is Pure Master Slave that does replication.
> But it has no failback mechanism.

It supports failover from the master to slave.

> What are my activemq options for actual high availability with no
> one-point-of-failure?

This page lists the 3 options with different trade-offs

http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html

--

James
-------