activemq-users mailing list archives

From GaryG <ggive...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Too many open files exception on broker
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:47:55 GMT

I'm seeing tons of exceptions on the broker:

============
2007-02-23 07:15:48,528 [xxsxxx:61616] ERROR TransportConnector
- Could not accept connection : java.net.SocketException: Too many open
files
java.net.SocketException: Too many open files
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.accept(PlainSocketImpl.java:384)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.implAccept(ServerSocket.java:450)
        at java.net.ServerSocket.accept(ServerSocket.java:421)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransportServer.run(TcpTransportServer.java:153)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
============

I can't connect to it via JMX anymore, although some messages still seem to
be getting
through.

I'm also seeing lots of errors like this on the broker:

=========
2007-02-23 07:15:43,523 [34.186.85:33862] DEBUG Service
- Error occured while processing sync command:
javax.jms.InvalidClientIDException: Broker: amqDev2 - Client: wf4 already
connected
javax.jms.InvalidClientIDException: Broker: amqDev2 - Client: wf4 already
connected
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.region.RegionBroker.addConnection(RegionBroker.java:205)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerFilter.addConnection(BrokerFilter.java:82)
        at
org.apache.activemq.advisory.AdvisoryBroker.addConnection(AdvisoryBroker.java:70)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.BrokerFilter.addConnection(BrokerFilter.java:82)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.MutableBrokerFilter.addConnection(MutableBrokerFilter.java:92)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.processAddConnection(TransportConnection.java:687)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.jmx.ManagedTransportConnection.processAddConnection(ManagedTransportConnection.java:86)
        at
org.apache.activemq.command.ConnectionInfo.visit(ConnectionInfo.java:121)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection.service(TransportConnection.java:284)
        at
org.apache.activemq.broker.TransportConnection$1.onCommand(TransportConnection.java:177)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportFilter.onCommand(TransportFilter.java:65)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:133)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:122)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:84)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:137)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
==========

However, looking at the logs on the client mentioned above "wf4", I'll see
an error like this:
-------------
2007-02-23 14:30:01,332 [AcitveMQ Connection Worker:
tcp://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/xxxxxxxxxxx:61616] ERROR jms_comm -
ActiveMQFactoryUtil: exception reconnecting: javax.jms.JMSException: Wire
format negociation timeout: peer did not send his wire format.
-----------------------

but then right before and right after such errors, messages are being
received and sent with no problem.

These errors started happening after about 2 days of running the broker with
broker usageMemory being set to 256MB, and broker JVM has 512MB.  I know
last I checked memory use for the broker, according to JMX, was growing
steadily.  We're using non-persistent messages, but it seems memory is not
beeing freed up.

A co-worker here recommended upping the open file limit before I bring up
the Broker JVM with these commands:
ulimit -u unlimited
ulimit -n 90000
ulimit -s unlimited

Which, I'll try shortly, but what I don't understand, is why would AMQ even
be in such a state in the first place?

Is there a bug with this too many open files issue?  Is there another fix
that is recommended?