activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Suchitha Koneru \(sukoneru\)" <sukon...@cisco.com>
Subject RE: Queue question
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 21:38:18 GMT
When you use a queue connection , irrespective of other settings,
message delivery is guaranteed.
When you use a  topic connection , message delivery is guaranteed only
when the delivery mode is persistent and the subscriber is durable.

Suchitha.

-----Original Message-----
From: GaryG [mailto:ggiventa@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:49 AM
To: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Queue question

I'm doing some simple communication between two peers via a Queue, and
I'm noticing odd persistence behavior.

Even though both the producer is set with DeliveryMode.NON_PERSISTENT,
what I see happen is this:

1) Bring up AMQ broker
2) Bring up Producer and send 5 test messages.  At this point the
consumer of the messages for this Q is not even running.
3) Bing up Consumer and it receive the 5 messages.

I've tried setting TTL on the Producer to something really short, but
that didn't help.

This seems wrong to me, as I would only expect the messages to be
delivered to the consumer of the Q if the consumer was A) actually
running, or B) there was persistence turned on.

If I use a Topic instead, the above scenario works as expected, and I
only get the missed messages if I turn on persistence.

What am I missing?

Perhaps I'm not grasping what persistence is and how it should work?  I
understand the messages persisted to a DB for backup, how is that
different from journaling?  If I want delivery assurance, even if a
consumer is down, do I have to turn on DeliveryMode.PERSISTENT on the
producer, AND use a DurableSubscriber on the consumer end?

I appreciate any help!

-GaryG