activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there an ACK mechanism when sender sent a message to broker?
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:20:19 GMT
On 1/5/07, Lok Yu <dummy_lok@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:

> I have a few questions which hope experts help me to answer
>
> 1. Is there an ACK mechanism when sender sent a message to broker?

In OpenWire on all commands a client can ask for a receipt of the
operation; so you can receive a receipt when the broker has processed
any send message. This is used for persistent messaging to know how
long to block a client doing a synchronous send.

> 2. Is it possible that client not ACK the broker and broker will push
> content to client again?

A consumer can hog a message and not ACK it, yes. Though as soon as
the client disconnects the message is redelivered. We've talked about
having a timeout on messages so any consumer which doesn't ACK a
message within some time period will be automatically detected and
closed by the broker.

--

James
-------