activemq-users mailing list archives

From dneuer <dave.ne...@pobox.com>
Subject Disabling duplicate durable subscriber id checks for embedded brokers
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:54:55 GMT

Does it make sense for an embedded broker to throw an exception if a durable
subscriber attempts to register with the same id as some previous
subscriber? We are using the JMS API w/ the JVM transport, and use durable
subscribers to ensure at least one attempted delivery of certain messages.
Since the client and the service run in the same VM, I can't see how it can
make sense in that case for the service to assume that a clean shutdown
happened.

Is it insane to use ActiveMQ in this way? Would a patch be accepted that
disabled duplicate ID checks for embedded brokers? I understand that that
breaks the JMS API, but I just can't see a sensible way for the service to
determine that this is a duplicate registration instead of a startup after a
crash (our wrapper layer takes care of real duplicate checks, BTW).