activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Jamie McCrindle" <jamiemccrin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: client version policy when upgrading activemq brokers
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:40:15 GMT
The issue is that we have a number of existing applications that are
deployed at various client sites that are currently using 4.0.2.

I'd like to move to 4.1 for one particular application and preferably
for one particular client, to start with, to avoid me having to update
all of the code and brokers everywhere in one big bang. I'll still
have to branch the one application but I'm not expecting too many
changes on that branch for the existing customer base. If I move all
of the applications over to using a 4.1 client, I'll either have to
branch everything or upgrade everyone's brokers.

An example of what I'm aiming for:

Client A: App A (4.0.2), App B (4.0.2), App C (4.0.2), Broker (4.0.2)
Client B: App A (4.0.2), App B (4.0.2), App C (4.1), Broker (4.1)

The improvement I'd like to take advantage of is Pure JDBC Master /
Slave. I'm assuming that 4.0.2 client should handle failover just
fine.

I've seen this before (but with TIBCO) so I'm guessing it's a general
problem with Enterprise Middleware. You get all the advantages of a
homogenous message bus but you can get stuck on a particular version
pretty easily if the broker's aren't backwardly compatible.

cheers,
j.