activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Performance/usage guidelines?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 10:39:14 GMT
On 12/12/06, JaredM <emrul.i@gmail.com> wrote:
> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > If you want to implement a chat service then you might wanna consider
> > Jabber. However using ActiveMQ as a chat server is fine too.
> >
> > I'd use a topic for each chat room and each client should create one
> > (or more) temporary queues for folks to talk to directly to them.
> >

> Hi James,
>
> Many thanks for the response.  I don't want to really build a chat server,
> if I did I would definitely use Jabber :).  However, for my example it
> seemed like an easy one to describe.
>
> What practical limitations should I expect when creating a topic for each
> chat? Say there are 10,000 (or 100k or 1m?) chat rooms?

You could look at federating chatrooms across different servers (the
forthcoming JEDI transport should help there). But until then the main
overhead of topics is a small amount of RAM in the broker. So assuming
you've plenty of heap in the broker, you should be able to create lots
of topics.

--

James
-------