activemq-users mailing list archives

From Anthrope ...@anthrope.com>
Subject Re: Network of brokers
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:50:34 GMT

Whoops,
     Sorry to have inadvertently led this thread down a slightly
unproductive path. What we must always keep in mind is that ActiveMQ is open
source, and that we all undertake a certain amount of risk when we use it,
or as in my case, recommend that our valued clients use  it. My expectations
of ActiveMQ went up significantly after it was officially accepted as an
Apache incubator project, and I'll guess that's true of many users of
ActiveMQ. My decision to recommend ActiveMQ to my clients was based largely
on the fact that ActiveMQ is an apache incubator project and that there's a
very active (no pun intended) community supporting it. That being said, I
completely understand that certain key features may not work (yet) as
advertised.

    From my experience thus far, I think ActiveMQ  needs time to mature. If
you've got fairly basic, vanilla needs, you'll be really happy with
ActiveMQ. Things get tricky when you need to production-harden your
environment with High Availability and Clustering. So far, I have a working
Master-Slave setup with MySQL, and that works with low volumes and message
rates. I've also been able to get a 2-node cluster setup that allows
producing data onto one node and consuming data from the other (this works
with the failover:// url as well). I'm working through the various
scenarios, but will certainly publish the configuration files for the
various setups just as soon as I can. I'm convinced that with a lot of
tweaking and playing around, we'll arrive at a configuration that'll satisfy
our needs. Failing that, we'll switch to a commercial implementation.

PS: (For what it's worth, the story is much the same with Joram as well. The
High Availability functionality is new, and there's zilch vis-a-vis
documentation or examples.)

Regards,
Prashanth