activemq-users mailing list archives

From JaredM <>
Subject Performance/usage guidelines?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:50:27 GMT

I'm new to message queues and have been searching for some usage guidelines.
I understand that the biggest factors to think about regarding performance
seem to be message size and the volume or rate of messages.

However, I want to know what considerations should I think about when
deciding on practical limits for the number of queues or topics?

Here is a fictional scenario (and I do mean fictional before someone points
me towards XMPP/Jabber): I want to build an Instant Messaging service for
100000 users.  The service would need to accommodate chat rooms as well as
instant messaging.  So would I create a queue for each IM and a topic for
every chat room?  If so, how many queues or topics could I create before I
run into performance problems?  Or is the number of queues and topics all
irrelevant and the only important factor is the size and volume of messages?