activemq-users mailing list archives

From terrytriple <te...@edinburgh.net.uk>
Subject Re: Multicast / Application Level Multicast / JXTA ?
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2006 18:15:37 GMT

What we have been seeing with our testing is a linear decrease in delivery
rate per consumer as we increase the number of consumers

e.g. 1,600 m/m with 1 consumer, 800 m/m with 2, 400 m/m with 4, 320 m/m with
5, etc..

Note that these messages are being delivered over the internet,
and we are using Pub/Sub with Topics,
The producer machine is a pretty nice/quick machine - and we don't see any
bottlenecks there,
the bottleneck seems to be in our T1 connection.

but to make this scale to 200-250 consumers, and maintain as least 200 m/m
per consumer - it seems we would need A LOT of bandwidth !

hence the reason for looking at multicast / network of brokers / JXTA /
etc..

I thought _maybe_ JXTA and its PIPEs could be configured in such a way as to
give a psuedo/virtual multicast using a tree of nodes.

or do the same thing with ActiveMQ brokers -- but again -- we don't want to
have to setup every node by hand.

any other ideas ?