activemq-users mailing list archives

From Philip Fisher-Ogden <pfish...@gmail.com>
Subject risks associated with useAsyncSend=true and tcp transport / persistence
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:33:42 GMT

What are the risks associated with setting useAsyncSend=true on a tcp
transport while also using persistent messages and no transactions?

The documentation at http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/async-sends.html
indicates:
"Many high performance applications are designed to be tolerate a small
amount of message loss in failure scenarios. If your application has been
designed in this fashion, you can enable the use of async sends to increase
throughput even when using persistent messages."

My application does not have any code specific to recovering from message
loss.  Am I at risk for losing messages if I use the combination of tcp
transport, useAsyncSend=true, persistent messages, and no transactions?

For reference, here is a snippet from my activemq.xml broker config:
--
  <persistenceAdapter>
      <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="16" dataDirectory="journal-vm"

Thanks,
-Philip Fisher-Ogden