activemq-users mailing list archives

From gabriel kastenbaum <gkastenbaummailingl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie configuration questions
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:55:31 GMT
Hi,

> ktrue wrote:
>>     3. The previous developers on the project used a network of brokers
>> topology and had a broker in
>>         each of the clients as well. However, when the client's JMS
>> connection factory used a failover:(vm://client)
>>         transport for the brokerURL, it never actually worked. When the
>> server went offline and came back online
>>         it would never reconnect. Given my current understanding
>> (admittedly
>> shallow), I don't see the need/benefit
>>         of embedding brokers in the client except that (in relation to
>> question 2), there are configuration options for
>>         persistence of messages. Is there something I'm missing.
>>  Adrian Co a écrit :
> For me, one of the key use of embedding brokers in the client, is that
> clients can continue processing stuff even when the remote broker is
> down. AFAIK, using the failover protocol, will block the sending of a
> message until the client is able reconnect to the broker. If you use
> an embedded broker, messages will be persisted automatically, and be
> sent when the remote broker comes online again, and the actual
> producer need not worry about it. I don't think theres not much use
> for a failover:vm://client as using an embedded broker assumes that if
> a broker goes down, the client in essence is also down.

I am also very interested by that type of solution.
This is the architecture one we are testing now (ActiveMQ version: 4.0.2
or 4.1). But as far I understood how things work, and within my small
experience of repeatedly unsuccessfull tries, I never manage to see a
disconnected broker reconnecting automatically to other ActiveMQ brokers
in a network of brokers, and then sending messages.

cf. also  http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-895. Related?

Is it true?
If not, what is the configuration to use to have a network of brokers
with automatic reconnection of brokers?

Thanks by advance!