activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Ruby STOMP client - TextMessage
Date Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:30:21 GMT
On 10/25/06, robottaway <rottaway@musiciansfriend.com> wrote:

> The change to Brian's Ruby client is done. You now can call either send
> (for
> JMS BinaryMessage) or sendTextMessage (for JMS TextMessage) on the client.
> These will map into the STOMP transport nicely. Reading either
> TextMessages
> or ByteMessages from the queue works as before my changes. I have only
> tested the client changes in AMQ 4.0.2 so far (see section below).
>
> Question: The sendTextMessage method will not include the header
> 'content-length'. Does this make the method non-functional with a true
> STOMP
> implementation? Asking this in another way, does STOMP always expect the
> 'content-length' header to be set? Or is this header strictly related to
> AMQ's transport implementation? The new sendTextMessage method will work
> great for the AMQ STOMP transport, but would it work with any properly
> implemented STOMP server?

I don't think it makes it ActiveMQ specific.  STOMP states that you can send
frames with a
content length or with out.  Your methods are allowing the stomp client to
choose which from to use.

TESTING:
> My test so far consisted of:
> One queue: foo.bar
>
> 2 x
> Setting a writer to constantly spam 20 binary messages per second to AMQ
> through the updated STOMP Ruby client
>
> 2 x
> Setting a producer to constantly spam 20 text messages per second to AMQ
> through the updated STOMP Ruby client
>
> One consumer which uses the STOMP Ruby client to consume all these
> messages!
> (I then added another consumer on the fly and things worked fine)
>
> The consumers and producers are running on a 3.0 GHz IBM PC, and AMQ 4.0.2
> is running on my MacBook.
>
> So far I have run through around 40k messages, or about 10k per producer.
> The consumer does not seem to have any troubles. I have jconsole running
> and
> it looks like every message produced has been consumed. Thats good enough
> for me right now.

Yay!

I also had my Windows service, which uses the NMS AMQ implementation :),
> come online and also subscribe to the foo.bar queue. This ran a bit and
> got
> text messages no problem (although exceptions are caught for the
> BinaryMessage).

Yeah.. NMS might need some work. :(

BTW:
> Where should I upload this code to? If what I mentioned above makes this
> client sorta AMQ specific then maybe it should exist on AMQ's site rather
> than STOMP?

Perhaps Brian can take your patch.. Brian, you on this list or what?  While
I would not mind having the stomp clients hosted at apache, I would rather
they get hosted at language specific sites like http://rubyforge.org/, and
CPAN, php.net, etc. etc.