activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Self configuring network of brokers
Date Tue, 24 Oct 2006 20:14:09 GMT
On 10/19/06, kristoffer <stoffe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just got my client to connect to brokers using multicast properly, yea!
> But
> (comparing with a static tcp connection) performance is so much worse when
> using discovery:(multicast://default) at the client side. It looks like
> (correct me if im wrong) every message sent from the client to the broker,
> causing a multicast discovery in order to find a broker. Why is this

no.  but the client is getting every broker heartbeat which defaults to
about 1 every 500 ms.  So if you have alot of brokers and a slow client
connection that could be alot of traffic that the client is getting.

behaviour? Is because of loadbalancing? Is there some way that the discovery
> could be made only when the connection is broken?
>
> What i want is to have a loadbalanced system which is easy configurable. I
> dont want to update all my traffic servers configuration with new tcp urls
> if I decide to add a new broker. At the same time i dont want any overhead
> of running multicast, except when a connection failure occurs.

The overhead of multicast is only that each broker is sending out heartbeat
messages.  You can change the time interval to make that overhead be much
less.

Please help me understand if this is feasible or not, if not, what are a