activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: BytesMessage vs. already compressed byte[] payloads - fixed in 4.x?
Date Wed, 18 Oct 2006 22:31:40 GMT
Amq 4 should not be uncompressing message contents (unless it's sending to a
STOMP client I think).  Each message has flag indicating if the message
content is compressed or not.

On 10/18/06, Holger Hoffstaette <holger@wizards.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ActiveMQ 3.x unconditionally uncompresses BytesMessages whose input byte[]
> was already compressed with the JDK-builtin GZip stuff. This is obviously
> wrong since the compressed original byte[] should come out on the other
> end, not the huge uncompressed payload. Is this fixed in 4.x? I figured I
> ask before I forward-port. This bug makes ActiveMQ susceptible to DOS
> attacks, even unintentionally if someone sends a meager 10 MB of
> compressed XML over the wire that is exploded to >1GB, taking the VM with
> it.
> A simple ActiveMQ-specific prepended tag indicating transport-level
> compression (or not) would help to distinguish between the two. If this
> warrants a JIRA please yell.

You want to distinguish between compressed and uncompressed messages?  This
can be done on a per message basis.  I don't think it has anything to do
with the transport.

thanks

--
Regards,