activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hayden, Charles \(Charles\)" <chay...@avaya.com>
Subject RE: durable subscriptons
Date Fri, 20 Oct 2006 15:05:13 GMT
As I look into it, I realize the problem is a lot bigger than I can
handle.  The string "subcriptionName" appears nowhere (as a string).
The names used in stomp are determined by IntrospectionSupport (in util)
and are spelled the way the are because of how they are spelled in the
activemq source.  Unfortunately subcriptionName is used throughout
activemq (in 106 places) as a method name, a variable name, an attribute
name: all over the place. And because of these, it becomes part of
stomp.

-----Original Message-----
From: chirino@gmail.com [mailto:chirino@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Hiram
Chirino
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 9:59 AM
To: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: durable subscriptons

On 10/20/06, Hayden, Charles (Charles) <chayden@avaya.com> wrote:

> I don't have any problem doing this, but I hesitate for the following
> reasons.
> 1.  I know next to nothing about this.  I have been using activemq and
> stomp for all of three days, and have no recent java experience.  I
was
> just trying to make the sample program work.

Sweet!  Sounds like your quest for execelence / need to scratch an itch
is
going to make you an awesome ActiveMQ contributor!  Allready wanting to
fix
things after 3 days eh!

2.  Although (1) should stop me, I am foolhardy enough to press on.

Please press!

However, I am not sure whether it is a good idea to change the parameter
> name at this time.  If I correct the spelling, then existing stomp
> clients will break (implementations in each language have to be
> changed).  Furthermore, to the extent that stomp is used to
communicate

between servers, this change will mean the new servers cannot
> interoperate with old ones.  I just don't have the perspective to make
> this kind of decision.

Good point!  And here's my take on it:
The 4.0.x series of releases are our stable branch where only bug fixes
make
it in there.
The 4.1 release we are adding new feature and may slightly break some
things
to make it better.  Your fix should go in here for sure.

But since I consider an incorrect parameter name a bug, I think we
should do
something about it in the 4.0.x branch.  Perhaps try to figure out how
we
can map the misspelled and the correct property name to the same
property.

By the way, I believe the ConsumerInfo class is where the typo is.

> I will change the wiki to describe the current state of affairs and
let
> those more knowledgeable fix the real problem.

Thanks!