activemq-users mailing list archives

From Priya Parvatikar <priya.parvati...@ingenta.com>
Subject Publisher stalls but does not resume after messages have been consumed
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:58:18 GMT

Hi,

Could you please help me with this? I am using ActiveMQ 4.0.1 and have a
problem.

I have written a perl Stomp message producer that tries to publish a large
number of messages to a topic in a short amount of time. This topic has a
durable subscriber registered for it, but the subscriber is offline at the
time that the publisher starts publishing. The messages are persisted to a
Postgresql database. I have disabled journaling. The size of the message
body is approximately 2Kb. The memory limit for the broker in the JMX
console has been set to 104857600.

When the producer starts publishing messages, the EnqueueCounter for the
topic in the JMX console starts going up as expected. Also records are added
to the activemq_msgs table in the database as expected.

However, after a certain number of messages have been published (~10,000),
the message producer seems to stop sending messages. It does not die and the
socket connection with the ActiveMQ server is still alive, but the publisher
just seems to stall. I had a look at
http://activemq.org/site/what-happens-with-a-fast-producer-and-slow-consumer.html
and it looks like the message producer is told to slow down because there
are a large number of unconsumed messages?

I then started off the durable subscriber that picked up those messages. I
thought that once the number of pending messages would go down, the stalled
publisher would resume sending. However that did not seem to happen even
after the subscriber had received all the messages (the enqueue and dequeue
counter were the same in the JMX console). I am not sure if I am
understanding this correctly , am I correct in thinking that the perl
producer will resume sending messages after the durable subscriber comes
online and consumes the messages waiting?

Could someone please advise me about this?

Many Thanks,
Priya