activemq-users mailing list archives

From kristoffer <>
Subject Self configuring network of brokers
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 12:24:20 GMT

Just got my client to connect to brokers using multicast properly, yea! But
(comparing with a static tcp connection) performance is so much worse when
using discovery:(multicast://default) at the client side. It looks like
(correct me if im wrong) every message sent from the client to the broker,
causing a multicast discovery in order to find a broker. Why is this
behaviour? Is because of loadbalancing? Is there some way that the discovery
could be made only when the connection is broken?

What i want is to have a loadbalanced system which is easy configurable. I
dont want to update all my traffic servers configuration with new tcp urls
if I decide to add a new broker. At the same time i dont want any overhead
of running multicast, except when a connection failure occurs.

Please help me understand if this is feasible or not, if not, what are a
common setup? What are my options in terms of performance vs

Thank you,