activemq-users mailing list archives

From snacktime <snackt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: memory use, problems with stomp
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 20:24:25 GMT

Some more information on the problems I've been seeing with stomp.   When
sending messages to a queue, activemq still thinks there is a consumer
connected even after it is long gone, and subscribers are then unable to
read messages from the queue.  I've seen phantom consumers consuming
messages, and queue counts jump from the thousands to -1, -2 for no apparent
reason.  I'll often connect to a queue and try to read messages, and JMX
will show the queue count decrement by one even though the client doesn't
get anything, and then the client will just sit there forever with jmx
showing thousands of messages in the queue.  To make matters worse there
appears to be no way to fix a queue once it's gotten into a bad state.
Restarting activemq will get rid of the phantom consumer but it's impossible
to read the messages from the queue.

I'm also seeing something strange which could very well be my
misunderstanding of how activemq works.  I send 5000 messages to an empty
queue then try to purge the queue in JMX with throws an exception.  JMX then
shows 4000 messages in the queue (what happened to the other 1000?), and
when I consume the messages I get all 5000 back out, but JMX still shows one
message in the queue.   And sometimes purge has no effect at all, while
resetstatistics clears out the queue??

It's all so strange I really have no idea how to debug it, and I'm not a
java developer.