activemq-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rob Davies <rajdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Issues with stomp
Date Sat, 14 Oct 2006 05:29:29 GMT
Hi Chris,

thanks for the info.  Please bear with it - I'm not sure the issue is  
so much with Stomp  but with ActiveMQ's ability to handle large  
volumes of messages that haven't been consumed. This is something I'  
ve been working on improving for a while - and it should be ready end  
of next week.

cheers,

rob

On 14 Oct 2006, at 00:48, snacktime wrote:

> I've been testing out activemq for a couple of days now.  We would be
> using it as a standalone MQ with perl/ruby clients connecting to it.
> So far, it's not been good.  Active MQ falls over without hardly
> trying when using stomp.  Basically, it's easy to get it in a
> condition where it thinks there are consumers or subscribers that
> don't exist, and then it's impossible to read any remaining messages
> in the queue.   Either there will be consumers showing that don't
> exist, or subscribers showing in the broker but no consumer in the
> queue.  Queue counts strangely go into negative numbers, and a restart
> doesn't have any effect.  When a queue is stuck, I have also noticed
> that if I try to connect as a consumer my client doesn't see anything,
> but JMX shows the queue count going down by one.  And if I restart
> activemq it will show that 1 transaction was recovered.
>
> To get activemq into this state I will either forcibly disconnect a
> consumer in a bad way a couple of times, or if I send enough messages
> into the queue then it also locks up.  By locking up I mean consumers
> cannot read from the queue, and new consumers get 'stuck' after
> disconnecting, which activemq thinking they are still reading from the
> queue. At the same time activemq starts eating up large chunks of
> memory, going from 70mb ram to 120mb or more in a short time period.
> Roughly 10mb per 10,000 very short messages.
>
> I'm seeing most of these issues in both 4.0.1 and the latest RC of
> 4.0.2.  This is on freebsd 6.1 and I've tried both the native jdk1.5
> and linux-blackdown 1.4.  The client is the ruby stomp client.  I am
> not a java developer, but I'd be happy to provide any information that
> might help solve these issues, as they are definitely prohibiting us
> from using activemq.  Which is unfortunate because from everything
> else I have seen there really isn't anything else in the open source
> world which compares.
>
> Chris
> Payment Online Inc


Mime
View raw message