activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load Balancing with Single Consumer
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 11:49:52 GMT
On 9/20/06, jdrsto <john.richartz@metro1.com> wrote:
> James.Strachan wrote:
> >
> > On 9/11/06, apinke <apinkelefant@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> We are trying to achieve load balancing with single producer and single
> >> consumer instance and multiple Brokers.
> >
> > Just out of interest, why? Normally a single broker can handle many
> > producers and consumers without breaking into a sweat.
> >

> If I can offer a perspective here ...
> I've currently got a SWIFTMQ network where each "broker" is duplicated --
> not for performance, but for availability reasons. Traffic flows
> continuously, but not in duplicate, on the parallel routes. Loss of a single
> "broker" or its host does not affect the overall system and permits
> continued operation while restoring system, or when just performing
> maintenance. This does introduce the need to perform duplicate filtering for
> topics, however.

If using topics and you have a network of brokers with ActiveMQ then
the message is sent to all brokers anyway, so loosing a broker
shouldn't loose a topic message..

However for queues if you want to replicate messages for availability
but avoid duplicates (and preserve ordering etc) you need to use
Master/Slave...
http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/masterslave.html

--

James