activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Limiting connection messages/bandwidth
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:33:56 GMT
On 9/22/06, colincrist <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm looking for a way to configure/implement a throttle on the number of
> messages a client (over any transport) can send or receive messages,
> initially just by a rate (e.g. 10 per second) but possibly in the future by
> bandwidth (e.g. 1G per day) based on users or remote IP addresses/ranges.
> I would also be nice to be able to collect these statistics in reports.
> I'm considering placing an broker on a publicly accesible server as a
> default Hermes provider for new users to experiment with and would rather it
> was not swamped :-) It could also be a good example of using SSL etc.

Ah I understand :)

> Any pointers to where in the codebase this could be implemented would be
> very welcome.

It should be relatively easy to add an interceptor to the broker to do
this kinda thing...

where you could overload the send() method and keep around counts for
the messages/message sizes per connection/session/producer whatever
you want. The only real question is what to do if a user exceeds their
quota - close them?

View raw message