activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Limiting connection messages/bandwidth
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:33:56 GMT
On 9/22/06, colincrist <colincrist@hermesjms.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a way to configure/implement a throttle on the number of
> messages a client (over any transport) can send or receive messages,
> initially just by a rate (e.g. 10 per second) but possibly in the future by
> bandwidth (e.g. 1G per day) based on users or remote IP addresses/ranges.
>
> I would also be nice to be able to collect these statistics in reports.
>
> I'm considering placing an broker on a publicly accesible server as a
> default Hermes provider for new users to experiment with and would rather it
> was not swamped :-) It could also be a good example of using SSL etc.

Ah I understand :)

> Any pointers to where in the codebase this could be implemented would be
> very welcome.

It should be relatively easy to add an interceptor to the broker to do
this kinda thing...

http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/interceptors.html

where you could overload the send() method and keep around counts for
the messages/message sizes per connection/session/producer whatever
you want. The only real question is what to do if a user exceeds their
quota - close them?

--

James
-------