activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Load Balancing with Single Consumer
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2006 06:18:47 GMT
On 9/11/06, apinke <> wrote:
> We are trying to achieve load balancing with single producer and single
> consumer instance and multiple Brokers.

Just out of interest, why? Normally a single broker can handle many
producers and consumers without breaking into a sweat.

> What we are trying to achive is have only one Consumer connect to one broker
> and listen to a queue but for load-balancing reasons ( or if the broker goes
> down ) ,  it should automatically connect to the next broker and consume the
> messages.
> Is this setup possible ?

Currently for the latter, failover to another broker is supported.
However we don't yet have the former - connecting and consuming from
both brokers at the same time.

There is an outstanding issue for this.

we have a basic FanoutTransport that connects to multiple brokers; but
more work is required to add the various required semantics such as to
support queue consumption across many brokers and transaction support

IIRC John Heitmann was working on this - any progress John?

> To be more clear, can we create a "virtual" broker / queue that a producer
> and consumer can use , but it is actually composed of a network of brokers ,
> such that
> they can share the load or provide failover capabilities.
> Of course , this is not load balancing the application but only the
> brokers...

The other option is you create a network of brokers with
producers/consumers connecting to one of the brokers and the brokers
store-and-forwarding to other consumers on other brokers when needed.
Ultimately the fanount (or 'jedi' as we've referred to it in the past)
transport could be what you need.

View raw message