activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Hiram Chirino" <hi...@hiramchirino.com>
Subject Re: Limiting connection messages/bandwidth
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 23:47:13 GMT
On 9/22/06, James Strachan <james.strachan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/22/06, colincrist <colincrist@hermesjms.com> wrote:
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to configure/implement a throttle on the number of
> > messages a client (over any transport) can send or receive messages,
> > initially just by a rate (e.g. 10 per second) but possibly in the future by
> > bandwidth (e.g. 1G per day) based on users or remote IP addresses/ranges.
> >
> > I would also be nice to be able to collect these statistics in reports.
> >
> > I'm considering placing an broker on a publicly accesible server as a
> > default Hermes provider for new users to experiment with and would rather it
> > was not swamped :-) It could also be a good example of using SSL etc.
>
> Ah I understand :)
>
> > Any pointers to where in the codebase this could be implemented would be
> > very welcome.
>
> It should be relatively easy to add an interceptor to the broker to do
> this kinda thing...
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/interceptors.html
>
> where you could overload the send() method and keep around counts for
> the messages/message sizes per connection/session/producer whatever

Agreed.. The coupled with user security so that users need a valid
userid/password would also allow you to track usage to a specific
user.  If there were any limits exceeded your custom broker plugin
could (1) disconnect the user and (2) send a message to queue that
disabled the user account.

> you want. The only real question is what to do if a user exceeds their
> quota - close them?

Yeah. and disable the account.  So that subsequent connect fails too :)

--
Regards,
Hiram

Blog: http://hiramchirino.com