activemq-users mailing list archives

From Charles Anthony <charles.anth...@hpdsoftware.com>
Subject RE: is there any way to mark a message "read"?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:30:31 GMT
Hi Stanley,

I'm afraid it's a bit this a bit like the tourist asking the local "How do I
Get To Leicester/Times/Red Square"; the answer is "Well, I wouldn't start
from here".

Reading the questions that you've been asking, it seems like you are trying
to do the equivalent of an email application for Voice messages. As voice
messages come in, they get stored on a per-user "queue" - and the user can
log in and select an item an listen to it.

JMS Really is NOT the ideal way to store/search for data - that's what
databases are for (as mentioned in
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-can-i-consume-a-particular-message-in-the-queue-
-p6096665.html
)

JMS *is* good at letting you know when data has changed/been added, and for
queueing data in order to be  processed.

As an example, part of our application (only a small part, mind you) is a
sort of "workflow" inbox - it's a screen that lists a load of items that
need to be completed. All users share the same list - and only one user can
process an item at a time.

These work items are stored in the database.

We use JMS (Queues) as a message transport between a client and server
process to say "get me all the open items in the workflow list". The server
process queries the database, and returns the items as a JMS Message. Once
the screen is open, we use JMS Topics to broadcast messages saying "User Bob
has opened item 256, no-one else can open it", as well as "The system has
created a new item". The screens correspondingly add and remove items from
the on-screen list (which can be further filtered by type of message etc).

In other words, we are only using JMS to distribute the data, as a messaging
transport layer, not to query and store the data itself.

Using ActiveMQ as the actual database itself is a bit like using great big
hammer to insert screws into a wall in order to hang up a picture. It may
sort of work to begin with, but the screws won't stay in for long, and the
picture will probably fall off the wall.

I this message is not too rude and patronising - if so, I apologise, it's
not my intention.

Best Wishes,

Charles.