activemq-users mailing list archives

From jdrsto <>
Subject Re: Load Balancing with Single Consumer
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 18:11:59 GMT

James.Strachan wrote:
> On 9/11/06, apinke <> wrote:
>> We are trying to achieve load balancing with single producer and single
>> consumer instance and multiple Brokers.
> Just out of interest, why? Normally a single broker can handle many
> producers and consumers without breaking into a sweat.

If I can offer a perspective here ...
I've currently got a SWIFTMQ network where each "broker" is duplicated --
not for performance, but for availability reasons. Traffic flows
continuously, but not in duplicate, on the parallel routes. Loss of a single
"broker" or its host does not affect the overall system and permits
continued operation while restoring system, or when just performing
maintenance. This does introduce the need to perform duplicate filtering for
topics, however.