activemq-users mailing list archives

From jlittman <jlitt...@google.com>
Subject Detecting lost clients
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 20:22:33 GMT

>From my ActiveMQ server application, I want to be able to detect when a
client has disappeared (i.e. crash) without explicitly closing the
application level session. What I'd like to do is the following:
1) receive ApplicationConnect message from a client. Save some sort of an id
representing the connection.
2) If the application disconnects or exits ungracefully without sending an
ApplicationDisconnect message, I want to receive notification that the
client with the given id is gone, and I should clean up all relevant state,
locks, etc....

I can set up a MessageListener interested in topic
ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection, and I get a message delivered when clients
connect and when they disconnect or crash. When I get a JMS message for
ApplicationConnect, I can see that there is ConnectionInfo in the data
structure for Message. However, I don't see any values that correlate with
the ConnectionInfo received in the ActiveMQ.Advisory.Connection topic
message. There's a clientId, sessionId etc... but they don't seem to be the
value I am after. Is there a value here that I can use, or is there a better
way to build this mousetrap altogether? Thanks in advance for any tips.