activemq-users mailing list archives

From dooart <thiagocdua...@yahoo.com.br>
Subject ActiveMQ, Clustered JBoss and JDBC Master/Slave
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 20:39:55 GMT

I am trying to setup an environment with a clustered JBoss and ActiveMQ in
JDBC Master/Slave mode. I'm going to use JMS in our application to help in
some issues with clustering, like indexing and local files synchronization.

I have only two machines to run the entire environment and I want to run an
embedded ActiveMQ broker per application server to help in application
maintenance, so the final environment will be something like this:

http://www.nabble.com/user-files/235837/cluster_activemq.png

At first it seemed to be working fine, but when I started to test the
behaviour of the environment shutting down the nodes and restarting them, I
started to have some problems with message duplication and lost messages.
Here are the results of some tests I made (errors are marked with red
color):

First Test

Step	Action	Result

1	Servlet at NODE01 sends message “node01_test01”	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node01_test01"

2	Servlet at NODE02 sends message “node02_test01”	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node02_test01”

3	NODE02 is shut down and restarted	NODE02 leaves and enters the cluster
again

4	Servlet at NODE01 sends message "node01_test02"	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node01_test02"

5	Servlet at NODE02 sends message "node02_test02"	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node02_test02”

6	NODE02 is shut down	NODE02 leaves the cluster

7	Servlet at NODE01 sends message "node01_test03"	Only the EJB container at
NODE01 receives the message "node01_test03" (ok!)

8	NODE02 is started	NODE02 enters the cluster and receives the message
"node01_test03" (ok!)

9	NODE01 is shut down	NODE01 leaves cluster and NODE02 receives again the
message "node01_test03" (twice)

10	Servlet at NODE02 sends message "node02_test03"	Only the EJB container at
NODE02 receives the message "node02_test03" (ok!)

11	NODE01 is started	NODE01 enters the cluster and receives the message
"node02_test03" (ok!)

12	Servlet at NODE01 sends message "node01_test04"	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node01_test04”

13	Servlet at NODE02 sends message "node02_test04"	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node02_test04”

14	NODE02 is shut down	NODE02 leaves cluster and NODE01 receives again the
message "node02_test03" (once)

15	Servlet at NODE01 sends message "node01_test05"	Only the EJB container at
NODE01 receives the message "node01_test05" (ok!)

16	NODE01 is shut down	Cluster is empty

17	NODE02 is started	NODE02 enters the cluster but doesn't receive the
message "node01_test05" as expected

18	NODE01 is started	NODE01 enters the cluster

19	NODE02 is shut down and restarted	NODE02 enters the cluster again but
still doesn't receive the message "node01_test05"

Second Test

Step	Action	Result

1	Servlet at NODE01 sends message “node01_test01”	Both EJB containers
receive the message “node01_test01”

2	Servlet at NODE02 sends message "node02_test01"	Both EJB containers
receive the message "node02_test01"

3	NODE02 is shut down and restarted	NODE02 leaves and enters the cluster
again

4	Servlet at NODE01 sends message "node01_test02"	Only the EJB container at
NODE01 receives the message "node01_test02" (now it didn't worked although
it worked at the previous test)

5	Servlet at NODE02 sends message "node02_test02"	Only the EJB container at
NODE02 receives the message "node02_test02" (now it didn't worked although
it worked at the previous test)

I've run the first test with MySQL 5.0 and the second test with MSSQL Server
2000 as datasources for JDBC Master/Slave, but both configurations failed as
you can see at the two tables above. I'm almost sure that the steps 4 and 5
from the second test failed not because of MSSQL, but because the
instability of the entire environment.

Does anyone have a clue of what can be wrong? I don't know if this helps,
but I've attached my configuration files here.

I'm using JBoss 4.0.4 GA and ActiveMQ 4.1 (I was using 4.0.1 before, but it
didn't work too).

Thanks,

Thiago Duarte