activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Bish, Tim" <Tim.B...@Sensis.com>
Subject RE: Compilation on different platforms
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:47:06 GMT

> Hi Tim-
>
> I have kept my priority as Windows XP for my prod release in december
this
> year.
> In the mid of November however I will have to build and run my code
for
> both
> Solaris and Linux.
>
> Can you please suggest
> 1. How to go about for Solaris and Linux (makefile builds or maven
> builds),
> we prefer and promote maven actually within our projects for the
builds.

You can build the library with Maven the same way you do on windows.
You can't build the tests right now with maven, so the best thing to do
to just try it out, is to use the makefiles, do a "make all" and then
run the activemq-cppTests executable.  I'd love it if the Maven Native
plugin was more feature rich, but for now you are stuck with the
makefiles for running the tests.

> 2. According to you activemq-cpp would work fine on both Solaris
(using
> gnu)
> and Linux (fedora / Ubuntu) - right ?

It builds on most systems that use the GNU compiler without issue.  The
sun compiler is a rather quirky compiler, so it may or may not work with
it, a lot depends on what versions of Solaris and Forte you are using,
your chances would be much better on Solaris 10 with Sunstudio 11 than
on Solaris 8.

> I want to see it running on all the three, help me out.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lalit Nagpal
>

> Timothy Bish wrote:
> >

> >> Hello-
> >>
> >> I just wanted to know if activemq-cpp has been built on different
> >> platforms
> >> like solaris/ linux ...
> >
> > We are using this on a couple variations of Linux, mostly Fedora and
> > Ubuntu.
> > We are also able to build and run tests on Solaris 10 machines using
> gcc.
> > I've got a couple patches to apply still for getting it to compile
on
> > Solaris with the Forte compiler.  I believe James built it on Mac
OS/X
> as
> > well, but I don't know how much testing has been done there, I don't
> > currently have access to a Mac.  I'm also using it on a Win XP
machine,
> > using the VC 2005 compiler, and I think you are using VC2003 right?
> I've
> > tried building it on Windows with Cygwin. But something in cygwin's
> > winsock
> > libraries seems to cause the sockets to drop for some reason.  It
will
> > build
> > and run if you use MinGW instead of Cygwin's gcc.
> >
> > So its been used on several different platforms so far, but I would
love
> > see it used on more so that we make sure its solid.  If you build it
and
> > run
> > the unit tests, and integration tests (these require a broker) then
it
> > should be a good indication that everything is working correctly.
> >
> >> I did the build using maven-mojo native plugin on winxp and so far
so
> >> good
> >> .. everything seems to work
> >>
> >> The pom.xml files however are given in 2 folders - 1 is unix and 1
is
> >> windows ...
> >> Because it says Unix I do not know whether it would work on the
Linux
> >> flavors or Solaris.
> >
> > The folder says UNIX meaning really a POSIX compliant system using
the
> gnu
> > tools.  There is a Solaris compiler makefile patch that I need to
apply
> > but
> > have not time, if you need it, I can make that a priority.  There
isn't
> > however a Solaris compiler POM at the moment.  But building it from
the
> > makefiles under UNIX is real easy and you can build the tests that
way
> as
> > well.
> >

> >> Does it successfully build and run on all platforms like Linux/
Solaris