activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Fateev, Maxim" <fat...@amazon.com>
Subject RE: Paging support
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:39:13 GMT
It would be interesting to see some numbers about memory utilization per message in backlog.

IMHO the main problem with keeping references in memory is that it needs recovery phase on
broker startup. It can take a while when backlog is really big.

-----Original Message-----
From: James Strachan [mailto:james.strachan@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 03, 2006 11:51 PM
To: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Re: Paging support

Note that MessageReferences != message contents; they are mostly just a MessageId which is
pretty small.

On 8/29/06, Fateev, Maxim <fateev@amazon.com> wrote:
> AFAIK messages are moved from journal to permantent storage (JDBC) on every checkpoint.
The problem is that references for every message are still kept in memory.
> IMHO it is inherent limitation of MessageStore API as it is defined now. The only way
to get message is by id. And the only way to have id is to keep it in memory.
> I'm looking into changing MessageStore API to one that instead of
>
> Message         getMessage(MessageId identity)
>
> Would provide
>
> Message getNextMessage()
>
> method eliminating need to keep references in memory.

(Someone reported this as AMQ-845 earlier, but with no response).