activemq-users mailing list archives

From Adrian Co <...@exist.com>
Subject Re: [newbie] Confused: javax.jms.Message vs ActiveMQMessage
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 03:18:35 GMT
Hi,

Usually you use the interface (Message and Destination), if you want
your JMS client to be JMS vendor neutral. You use ActiveMQMessage and
ActiveMQDestination if you want to use ActiveMQ specific functions or
properties. Downside is it will be harder to port to another JMS
provider as you are using ActiveMQ specific classes.

Another difference is you could instantiate directly ActiveMQMessage and
ActiveMQQueue. i.e. Queue q = new ActiveMQQueue("TEST.FOO");
But to be vendor neutral, you should use
session.createQueue("TEST.FOO"),  which will return a Queue object, but
the actual implementation is still ActiveMQQueue.

Hope these helps.