activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Timothy Bish" <tab...@twcny.rr.com>
Subject RE: Compilation on different platforms
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:04:01 GMT

> Hello-
>
> I just wanted to know if activemq-cpp has been built on different
> platforms
> like solaris/ linux ...

We are using this on a couple variations of Linux, mostly Fedora and Ubuntu.
We are also able to build and run tests on Solaris 10 machines using gcc.
I've got a couple patches to apply still for getting it to compile on
Solaris with the Forte compiler.  I believe James built it on Mac OS/X as
well, but I don't know how much testing has been done there, I don't
currently have access to a Mac.  I'm also using it on a Win XP machine,
using the VC 2005 compiler, and I think you are using VC2003 right?  I've
tried building it on Windows with Cygwin. But something in cygwin's winsock
libraries seems to cause the sockets to drop for some reason.  It will build
and run if you use MinGW instead of Cygwin's gcc.

So its been used on several different platforms so far, but I would love to
see it used on more so that we make sure its solid.  If you build it and run
the unit tests, and integration tests (these require a broker) then it
should be a good indication that everything is working correctly.

> I did the build using maven-mojo native plugin on winxp and so far so good
> .. everything seems to work
>
> The pom.xml files however are given in 2 folders - 1 is unix and 1 is
> windows ...
> Because it says Unix I do not know whether it would work on the Linux
> flavors or Solaris.

The folder says UNIX meaning really a POSIX compliant system using the gnu
tools.  There is a Solaris compiler makefile patch that I need to apply but
have not time, if you need it, I can make that a priority.  There isn't
however a Solaris compiler POM at the moment.  But building it from the
makefiles under UNIX is real easy and you can build the tests that way as
well.