activemq-users mailing list archives

From peter anderson <peter.ander...@egsgroup.com>
Subject Re: receiveNoWait problem
Date Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:35:52 GMT

James Strachan <james.strachan@...> writes:

> There's not heaps to go on so a few questions. Which version are you
> using? Do you create the consumers up front and reuse them for each
> request? Is there a time lag between sending a message and calling
> receiveNoWait()?
>
> Note that in ActiveMQ receiveNoWait() really and truly is that - we
> don't wait a single millisecond or request-response communication with
> the broker - if there is a message available it is returned without
> any delay.
>
> Some JMS providers interpret receiveNoWait() as a 'poll the broker and
> see if there is a message available and if so fetch it'. FWIW now we
> have support for pull based consumption we could consider adding this
> feature as an option if people want it - I suspect that might be the
> behaviour you are expecting.
>
> As a workaround try using a timeout of 1000 or something?

James,

Thanks for your prompt replay. I am using ActiveMQ 4.0.1 running under
Tomcat 5.5.17. I am calling the producer servlet first and then the consumer
servlet.

Even if I leave a number of minutes between these events the messages
are still not being found. However running them in a debugger does work
which suggest receiveNoWait() is failing.

p.s. are there any admin tools I could use to look at messages
in the queue ?

TIA Peter