activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Linking two webapps
Date Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:25:15 GMT
ActiveMQ might be a bit too much overkill for something so simple.
The only downside with the hacked global classes is doing releases; do
you release WARs right now? How would you upgrade the global classes
in production?

If you wanted you could put ActiveMQ in the shared tomcat classes then
just create producers and consumers using the VM transport and use
that for your inter-webapp communication. The nice benefit of using
ActiveMQ would be you'd be able to monitor the queue depth and so
forth. As you hot deploy WARs you could clear down queues etc too.

On 8/24/06, Will Hartung <willh@msoft.com> wrote:

> Hi all, I have two webapps running within the same Tomcat.
>
> I need to coordinate the two. I'd like the activity in one webapp to trigger
> activity in another webapp.
>
> It's doesn't need to be particularly sophisticated, and I'm only going to
> have one thread recieving messages. VERY low traffic.
>
> On the one hand, ActiveMQ seems way overkill. I'd probably be better off
> simply using a Singleton holding on to a java.util.concurrent.BlockingQueue,
> and then feed that.
>
> The only detail is the ClassLoader fun of getting the same Singleton viewed
> properly by both web apps.
>
> So, what do you guys think? Just punt and use that technique, plop the
> classes in $TOMCAT/common/classes and wing it, dealing with the minor
> configuration details and external dependencies (i.e. the WARs are no longer
> stand alone) or should I rather embed aMQ? Seems like this might be more
> work, albeit more flexible.
>
> Anyway, opinions appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Will Hartung