activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: maxInactivityDuration
Date Thu, 17 Aug 2006 08:02:29 GMT
This feature is used by the broker to detect inactive connections. On
some platforms sockets don't die for a very long time - sometimes many
hours. So the inactivity timeout on the broker allows a more early
warning system that a connection is dead - or to detect a frozen
client where the socket is alive but the client is hung on something.

The KeepAliveInfo is a tiny little command sent from time to time by
clients if they have not sent any commands to the broker in while to
make sure the broker knows its alive and well and not locked up. So
its a heart-beat which is only sent in periods of inactivity.

On 8/17/06, jerremy <nikkolleta@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to figure out what is this property:
> maxInactivityDuration . Defined in docs as: "The maximum inactivity duration
> (before which the socket is considered dead) in milliseconds.  Use by some
> transports to enable a keep alive heart beat feature".
>
> I am running my broker on windows.
> I see:
> "DEBUG InactivityMonitor - No message sent since last write check, sending a
> KeepAliveInfo"
> every whatever-many-seconds maxInactivityDuration property is set to.
>
> From said behaviour I gather that it is keeping connection live by sending
> some trafic.
> But from its name and explanation I thought it was measuring the time of
> inactivity on this connection before it considers it dead, and thus closes
> it ?
>
> Or in other words, why would I use this feature?
>
> Thanks,
>

> Jerremy
> --

James