activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Clustered JDBC database as message store and network of brokers
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 08:05:04 GMT
On 8/11/06, Eugene Prokopiev <> wrote:
> > If you have a clustered JDBC database and want to use that to get HA
> > then I'd recommend using this...
> >

> > which allows you to run many brokers; one is the master and others are
> > slaves for fast HA and failover. The only downside is performance as
> > JDBC Master Slave only works when not using the high performance
> > journal
> I know about this limitation but I need network of brokers instead of
> master/slave for parallel messages processing.

So a single broker (or single master/slave) can support many clients
(500-10,000 depending on your OS) and deal with large amounts of
concurrent message processing. You get parallel message processing via
having many JMS clients (producers & consumers); a single broker can
support that fine.

> Perfomance is not a
> problem in my case because I have another points of slow processing.
> So, my question is the same : can I got any advantages by setting up
> network between brokers or shared database is enough?

The only real benefit of networks is if you need store-and-forward
such as if you have a slow network link between producers and
consumers. If clients are arranged randomly, networks can load balance
traffic across multiple brokers - but its often rare to have so high
traffic that you need more than one broker - its usually the client
side which is the thing you need to run lots of.

View raw message