activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: Question about clustering and reliable delivery
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 14:42:24 GMT
On 8/3/06, Abdul Alhazred <> wrote:
> OK, here's the scenario:
> I have a number of producers, which produce a rather large number of
> messages, thus I need to be able to direct these messages to a set of
> clustered ActiveMQ brokers, and likewise there are numbers of consumers on
> the other side of the cluster receiving these messages.
> So far this is all fine, but these messages MUST be guaranteed delivered and
> processed in order. Exclusive Consumer is fine for this. Now what happens if
> the database server backing one of the brokers in the cluster fails? Both
> the consumers and producers can fail over to another broker, but now
> whatever messages are stored in that particular database are GONE (IE any
> which haven't yet been consumed).

The assumption is that the file or database is reliable. Failing that
you can use Master/Slave to replicate to different disks.

> What would be a recommended solution? It looks like ActiveMQ 4.1's JDBC
> master/slave would be a good answer, but I'd really like to have a solution
> I can deploy in the near term.

JDBC master/slave works great today - assuming you have reilable
databases. Though its fairly slow since it requires you to disable the
high performance journal.

Using a shared file system Master/Slave or using straight Master/Slave
is probably your best option if you have high performance requirements

> Pure database replication doesn't appear to
> be a real answer because master/slave replication in RDBMS are asynchronous
> (thus the slave database server might not yet have received all updates at
> the point where the crash occured). Besides in that case it would seem a new
> broker would have to join the cluster and start up using the replica
> database, which brings up various issues with what would happen with
> ordering of message delivery in the mean time.

Ordering is guarrenteed with Shared-FileSystem and JDBC based Master/Slaves.

View raw message