activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Sridhar Komandur" <sridharkoman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: xml configuration of discovery
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:27:44 GMT
:-)

I don't know if I can do a complete dump in this email.

Hope the following helps to clarify a little better ...

> Also, what is the difference between zeroconf, discovery, and multicast?

Discovery refers to either a client (producer or consumer) establishing a
'transport connector' to the broker
or a broker establishing 'network connector' to another broker without
explicit static configuration of broker (IP or hostname).

The scheme 'multicast' refers to either listening for or advertising
discovery events on a multicast address.
zeroconf is similar to multicast, expect for protocol specific to Apple's
Rendezvous (bonjour).

Broker
=====

    <networkConnectors>
      <networkConnector name="default" uri="multicast://default"/>
    </networkConnectors>

The above configuration in the broker xml file will make it automatically
establish network connectors to other brokers that advertise themselves on
the multicast address: when this broker gets a discovery event from another
broker, the event has information that enables it to establish network
connector to that broker.

Self-advertisement is facilitated by the following config:

    <transportConnectors>
       <transportConnector name="default" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"
discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
    </transportConnectors>

Client
====
 An example usage of discovery on the client side (using the transport
'discovery' that uses discovery agent) ...

  <transportConnectors>

       <transportConnector name="default"
uri="discovery:(multicast://default)"/>
    </transportConnectors>

 ps: discovery (which is a confusing name) is just like a  'reliable'
transport. If it is unable
    to connect to a broker, it will try another broker (assuming it
heard its advertisement over multicast).

Regards
- Sridhar Komandur