activemq-users mailing list archives

From "Mark Ashworth" <ma...@cibecs.com>
Subject RE: ActiveMQ eats memory
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 07:58:18 GMT
Good Day,

You should profile the application with a Java Profiler like YourKit
Profiler (no plug for them) since the working set memory that you see in
Windows Task Manager will most times give you an incorrect indication.

For more information please have a look at the following bug report.

Regards,
Mark P Ashworth

-----Original Message-----
From: SimonInOz [mailto:simon.pearce@bt.com]
Sent: 11 August 2006 08:34 AM
To: activemq-users@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: ActiveMQ eats memory

My ActiveMQ 4.01 installaton eats memory.

I have an ActiveMQ setup running on a single box. I just use it for local
messages (publish/subscribe). Persistance is turned off (at least I think it
is). I have no associated database. The installation is a straight out of
the box. (Windows 2003, Java 1.5.0_07b03).
I start up ActiveMQ using the command options

persistent=false
useJmx=true

in the command line. It seesm to run wonderfully.

OK. so what I ought to have is a simple mesage broker. No problem. It should
stay running for weeks, months, years.
But according to Windows it gradually uses up memory. It starts at maybe
30Mb, and gradually increases - it's currently at about 190Mb (it's been
running for a week with message numbers in the thousands, not hundreds of
thousands).
There's an option in the xml config to limit memory use. But why should
memory get consumed? What happens to it?  If I limit the memory will it
start to swap (I really, really don't want that).

thanks for any sage-like advice,
Simon (in Sydney where it is winter)