activemq-users mailing list archives

From John Heitmann <jheitm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ eats memory
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:20:00 GMT

On Aug 14, 2006, at 4:24 PM, SimonInOz wrote:

> My ActiveMQ seems to get Out of Heap errors if I leave it long enough.

Can you run jmap to see what's taking up so much space? jmap comes
with the jdk and is a breeze to run. We've seen a couple brokers go
oom, but haven't gotten to them to properly debug before they were
rebooted, and it seems pretty rare.

> To add to the strangeness of life, if I show the DOS box, then
> minimise it
> again, the Java memory usage plummets. Then starts to climb once
> more. Is
> this some sort of bug in Java or Windows?

This sounds like it's possibly plain old garbage collection. Hop onto
a broker with jconsole and start a garbage collection run and watch
the memory graph. Does it do the same thing? The memory drop from a
simple forced gc run can be pretty dramatic.

John