activemq-users mailing list archives

From SimonInOz <simon.pea...@bt.com>
Subject ActiveMQ eats memory
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2006 06:34:21 GMT

My ActiveMQ 4.01 installaton eats memory.

I have an ActiveMQ setup running on a single box. I just use it for local
messages (publish/subscribe). Persistance is turned off (at least I think it
is). I have no associated database. The installation is a straight out of
the box. (Windows 2003, Java 1.5.0_07b03).
I start up ActiveMQ using the command options

persistent=false
useJmx=true

in the command line. It seesm to run wonderfully.

OK. so what I ought to have is a simple mesage broker. No problem. It should
stay running for weeks, months, years.
But according to Windows it gradually uses up memory. It starts at maybe
30Mb, and gradually increases - it's currently at about 190Mb (it's been
running for a week with message numbers in the thousands, not hundreds of
thousands).
There's an option in the xml config to limit memory use. But why should
memory get consumed? What happens to it?  If I limit the memory will it
start to swap (I really, really don't want that).

thanks for any sage-like advice,
Simon (in Sydney where it is winter)