activemq-users mailing list archives

From cmose <cjm...@gmail.com>
Subject Some very noob questions on running and configuring
Date Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:57:40 GMT

Ok, so I appreciate the time of anyone who bears with me on this. I've been
reading through as many of the documents as I can find on activemq and I'm
still scratching my head a little bit on a number of items.

I'm looking at activemq as a standalone, "clusterable" jms "server" to
handle messaging between several servers. Sadly I'm having a hard time
piecing together configuration information, specifically what exactly I need
to do to get this up and running and configured. I see that there is an
example activemq configuration file however, it doesn't strike me as being
teribly clear and there doesn't seem to be a reference for the various tags
and elements listed in the configuration file. Could anyone point me to a
steps 1, 2, and 3 kind of example for getting activemq up and running and
configured? (it's very possible that I've missed that in my perusal of the
documents thus far).

Furthermore, I'm still a bit confused on the use of activemq and jndi, the
application I'm working on is a pojo application and we're actually looking
to get rid of our container altogether (weblogic currently) as we were just
using it for jms. I'm not sure I really follow what needs to happen to use
jndi to lookup an activemq connection factory (I saw the section on spring
but that doesn't really clarify it for me).

And lastly (lord I know, its a lot of questions), it's very possible that my
understanding of spring is not what it should be (although we are going to
try using it, just haven't gotten that far yet), but this quote from the
documentation confused me a bit

"We support full message driven pojo support in Spring by using Jencks. This
provides all the power of MDBs - efficient JMS consumption and pooling of
the message listeners - but without requiring a full EJB container."

I'm not really clear on why jencks would be required to support pojo
messaging - again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding activemq here, but I was
under the impression that activemq could run as a standalone jms provider
and the fact that one was using spring or something else would be
irrelevant, can anyone help me further understand this?

Thanks much, and again, I do really appreciate any insight on this, quite
obviously, simple questions.