activemq-users mailing list archives

From Kuppe <ku...@360t.com>
Subject Re: Use/misuse of JMS Streams
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2006 05:56:46 GMT

I suppose the main reason that i am looking for alternative ways to sending
updated data is to reduce the overhead as much as possible for each of the
updates. As i mentioned, only 1/12th of the data that i am writing to the
socket is actually relevant information to the update... This is a large
overhead! The question relates to whether much of the routing and contextual
business information can be part of the initial message from which the
client could then use for all updates that follow in the
ActiveMQInputStream.

To add more information to the reason of the question, I am looking to
stream a large number of updates to remote clients. Here, bandwidth is of
high significance... I am looking for the most efficient way to distribute
many small updates and provide the highest possible throughput to the
client. One way is to increase the bandwidth, but this is typically out of
my control. Alternatively i can aggressively reduce the amount of data sent
over the wire for each update. Reusing routing and context information is
just one way that i could think of to reduce the amount of data required for
each update...

I am not sure of the underlying implementation, perhaps JMS Streams are
simply mapped to multiple JMS Messages anyway (is that what you are
suggestion?) and there is absolutely no benefit to gain from my
suggestion... I was looking at the JMS Stream - namely the
ActiveMQInputStream and ActiveMQOutputStream as some sort of stream
forwarding feature that is created between a producer and consumer of a
specific message... Am i way off base???