activemq-users mailing list archives

From John Russell <jorus...@cisco.com>
Subject network of brokers with embedded endpoints
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:45:55 GMT
I have been reading the documentation on the main site and digging
through the forums for a while now.  I think I have figured out the
deployment type I need but I am having trouble figuring out how to
configure it.  Help would be greatly appreciated.

Requirements:
- Many components communicate with each other through JMS messages.
They can be co-located in the same JVM or on separate boxes.
- Reliable message delivery and fault tolerance.

What I think I need for deployment:
- Network of brokers to allow for scaling up by adding brokers.
- DemandForwardingBridge on all brokers to only forward messages when
consumers are subscribed to the topics.
- Embedded vm:// broker in each JVM where all co-located
component's messages are delivered in memory if no-one off box is
subscribed and have the embedded broker forward messages off box to
the central brokers for message forwarding.
Note that I don't think I want peer brokers where all the embedded
brokers talk to each other.  I want embedded ones which then connect
to a network cloud of brokers which do their magic and deliver
messages to other components.

What I have now:
- Connection configured by passing a url to the
ActiveMQConnectionFactory object.  I can get all the components in the
same JVM to talk using vm://localhost where the first connection
started creates the embedded broker.  Wonderful.
I can also get components on different boxes to talk by having a
separate activeMQ process running and using the tcp://<hostname>:61616
url.  However, this sends all messages, even intra-JVM messages out to
the broker.

I can't seem to figure out how to set up the embedded brokers as part
of a DemandForwardingBridge network of brokers.  I'll name one of my
child's stuffed animals after you if you can help me.  Thanks a lot.

John