activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to know if a broker died
Date Tue, 25 Jul 2006 10:51:41 GMT
On 7/25/06, Javier Leyba <xleyba@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I´ve a network of nodes where each node is a master/slave broker.
>
> I know if a master fails, a slave will take control of situation and
> then will be necesary a manual procedure to restart fixed failed
> master again.
>
> I found this process ok, but I wonder what could happen if human
> operator forgets to make recovery process and just re-start failed
> master broker without fix it and recovery it. Is there a way to
> programatically know at start up that a master was stopped by a
> problem in the last shutdown. If I can do this, I can send a message
> or something else to notify the problem to human operator.

You could monitor the servers via JMX. Maybe we could get the slave to
send out an advisory when it becomes the new master so folks can
subscribe to an advisory for such things?

Incidentally if you have a shared file system or are happy sacrificing
some performance for pure JDBC and avoiding the high performance
journal you can use auto-failover where you can run as many slave
brokers as required and there is no broker-broker synchronisation
required...

http://activemq.org/site/jdbc-master-slave.html
http://activemq.org/site/shared-file-system-master-slave.html

--