activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <>
Subject Re: activemq database cleanup
Date Tue, 18 Jul 2006 04:00:37 GMT
On 7/17/06, Jamie McCrindle <> wrote:
> hi all,
> does activemq delete consumed / expired messages from the database on
> its own or should i have a job deleting old messages running in the
> background?

It generally does it on its own. For queues messages are deleted
immediately (though with the use of the journal that only happens when
a checkpoint occurs). For durable topics there is a background thread
which goes and tries to delete any message which has been consumed by
all the durable subscribers.

For expired messages we are currently quite passive and kinda zap them
as we go along. I'm sure we could be a bit more aggressive in our
removal of expired messages.

> corollary: if activemq is doing the cleanup and the database is
> filling up should i be worried about my app leaking messages that
> aren't being consumed?

The main thing is to look at say queues in JMX and check that no
queues are filling up etc. The database size can fill up due to the
asynchronous nature of both the journal and the asynchronous deletion
of used resources (like durable topics or expired messages on queues).
So there's normally a bit of a lag.

View raw message