activemq-users mailing list archives

From "James Strachan" <james.strac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:17:04 GMT
A few questions...

* what version of ActiveMQ are you using?
* whats the heap for the JVM running the broker?
* are you enabling persistent delivery on your producer?
* are the only consumers durable consumers?

Am guessing you don't have any durable consumers which is why no
messages are persisted?

BTW the setting:             <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy
limit="1000000"/>

is not worth using as that means keep around 1000000 messages per slow
consumer before discarding any; you'll probably run out of heap before
it ever got chance to evict any messages.

On 7/13/06, christyc <carda@avaya.com> wrote:

> Maybe this is obvious, but I've been scouring the forum and website and am
> thinking that we have a configuration problem (hopefully) and not a bug.
> Anyway, we have multiple users as publishers and am trying to test the
> persistentence capability by not having any consumers consume messages.  We
> have some requirements that 1 million messages must be persisted and in our
> current test, we generate up to 400k messages and then get OutOfMemoryError
> : Java heap space coming from ActiveMQ.  From what I see on the website,
> having topics that are durable should be persisted to the database and
> spooled to disk.  We pretty much are using the out of a box activemq.xml
> configuration, but I don't see derby directories or the journal directories
> getting touched.  It seems like we don't have the derby database configured
> correctly.  We are using durable topics with asynch sending and memory
> management is set to 0 (which I thought I  picked up as being unlimited).
> How can you verify that the data is being spooled to disk and derby?  Here's
> our activemq.xml:
>
>  <beans xmlns="http://activemq.org/config/1.0">
>
>     <bean
> class="org.springframework.beans.factory.config.PropertyPlaceholderConfigurer"/>
>
>     <broker persistent="true" useJmx="true">
>
>     <!--  Use the following to set the broker memory limit (in bytes) -->
>     <memoryManager>
>         <usageManager id="memory-manager" limit="0"/>
>     </memoryManager>
>
>     <!-- In ActiveMQ 4, you can setup destination policies -->
>     <destinationPolicy>
>       <policyMap><policyEntries>
>            <policyEntry topic="FOO.>">
>             <dispatchPolicy>
>               <strictOrderDispatchPolicy />
>             </dispatchPolicy>
>             <subscriptionRecoveryPolicy>
>               <lastImageSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy />
>             </subscriptionRecoveryPolicy>
>           </policyEntry>
>
>           <policyEntry topic="com.avaya.coreservice.management.TESTTOPIC">
>             <dispatchPolicy>
>                <strictOrderDispatchPolicy />
>             </dispatchPolicy>
>             <subscriptionRecoveryPolicy>
>                <!--<timedSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy
> recoverDuration="60000"/>-->
>                 <fixedCountSubscriptionRecoveryPolicy
> maximumSize="1000000"/>
>
>             </subscriptionRecoveryPolicy>
>
>             <pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
>                <constantPendingMessageLimitStrategy limit="1000000"/>
>
> </pendingMessageLimitStrategy>
>           </policyEntry>
>
>       </policyEntries></policyMap>
>     </destinationPolicy>
>
>     <persistenceAdapter>
>           <journaledJDBC journalLogFiles="5"
> dataDirectory="${activemq.home}/activemq-data" />
>
>     </persistenceAdapter>
>
>     <transportConnectors>
>        <transportConnector name="default" uri="tcp://localhost:61616"
> discoveryUri="multicast://default"/>
>        <transportConnector name="stomp"   uri="stomp://localhost:61613"/>
> [...]

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/